Sunday, February 16, 2014

It's Not Always About the Destination

While on road trips it’s not always the destination that’s important, it’s also what you see along the way.  When planning my cross country move to Calgary, my friend and I sat down and planned our route, hotels and then started looking up all the different ‘Largest Things’ in Canada. No road trip is ever complete without seeing the largest monument or statue in the country/world. A drive that could have taken us four days we stretched out to seven days to fit all the largest things into our drive. We mapped out how to get to them and had all the addresses written down that we followed. We mainly stayed to the Trans Canada Highway and did not venture too far out of the way because we did not want to waste too much time.

Sometimes as you drive you find random things to stop at like my friends and I when we drove all over Nova Scotia. We were driving down the highway and looked to the left and saw
a random large Native American statue. So of course we had to stop.





Another fun thing that I just heard about from a co-worker when I told her about this blog was Geocaching. Geocaching is a scavenger hunt across the country. People have hidden boxes you can find with treasures that other people have left. Once you have found the box, you sign the guest book, take the treasure and leave your own treasure for the next person to find. You can plan road trips around finding these which kind of sounds fun. I will have to definitely remember this when I go on my next road trip. 

5 comments:

  1. Road Trip is a fun-filling adventure for those who enjoy things on the road, which could be memorable in lives. I hope some day in the near future I could have a short not that long road trip around. I think it will be fun and worthy. Thanks for your road tips, Megan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely see as much of Canada as you can while you are here Jenny. Its a large country with so many different culture, natural resources and entertainment that changes in each province. If you need any advice, do not hesitate to ask!

      Delete
  2. This blog idea made me think of one of my favorite books of all time and so I leave you with a quote:

    "What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? — it's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-by. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies."
    - Jack Kerouac, On the Road, Part 2, Ch. 8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the book recommendation Jessica. Maybe I will read it on my next road trip.

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to do an across Canada road trip, its on my bucket list. And I agree, if you are going to make the drive, you might as well make it worth it. I mean now you can say you have done and seen all those Largest Things in Canada. Not many people can say that.

    ReplyDelete