Monday, March 3, 2014

Capturing the Selfie

To selfie or not to selfie, that is the question. The rise of modern day social media in the last 15 years with MySpace followed by Facebook, has generated a new form of taking pictures. The reaching your arm out as far as you can and use your digital camera and take a picture of yourself. This form was used for photos for profile pictures on sites. Today, it is a common occurrence in everyday life. Just because you can does not ALWAYS mean you should.

I admit that I have been "that person" who when they travel have taken selfies because it was the thing to do. Looking back on them I have learned...I was not meant to take selfies (my arms are not long enough). Taking selfies doesn't capture the whole scene that you are trying remember. As mentioned in other posts, I have traveled both alone and with friends and have learned that there are better ways to take the pictures while traveling of yourself. Here are a few photo tips I recommend from trial and error myself.

  • If you are travelling with at least one other human being, let them take your picture. It will be better quality, aligned properly and it will be more visually appealing. Your travel companion can also capture the moments leading up to the actual picture, like if you are trying to put your feet in the ocean, they can capture the almost fall in trying to balance yourself. Although humiliating, great memories are captured that way.
Trying to put my feet
in the Bay of Fundy
Actually putting my feet
 in the Bay of Fundy

  • If you are travelling alone, have a camera with a timer on it. Balance your camera on a tree branch or on top of your car and set the timer to run into place. It will seem as if you had someone traveling with you.
  • If travelling alone, have a travel companion you can pose in the picture you would like to be in and pretend it is you. The storyline and comments from your travels will seem unique and entertaining if they were pictures of a knome or a large stuffed animal on social media or in photo albums.
Angus at the Alberta-Saskatchewan
border 
Angus checking us into our hotel
for the night.
On your next road trip, remember these tips and see the reactions you get when you get more creative with your photos then just the selfie.  

11 comments:

  1. I must admit that I am guilty of the 'selfie'. I think it's just become more convenient, especially considering the fact that most of us use our phones as cameras when travelling. Your post has inspired me to invest in a real camera and make better decisions about my photo capturing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will also admit that I have been "that person", I have travelled and taken selfies (which always seem like a good moment at the time). However, later on when I get home I always end up deleting the photos from embarrassment, they never actually look as good as I thought. I will definitely have to use those three tips next time I travel. Thanks Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, this post is so accurate. I went on a 21 hour road trip by myself last summer and I used the selfie on more than one occasion. However I did learn that when other travelers see you struggling to balance your camera on the hood of your car and run back they most often offer their assistance. It actually became a neat little trick I used in order to meet people on my journey and one person who took a photo for me was even going to the same destination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love selfies! And if the backdrop changes as your trip progresses, all the better! We do take along our nice camera too...but in a pinch, the iPhone works well! It's hard to keep up with the little ones with a giant camera around my neck haha I LOVE the smurf too...I think Mason and Sebastian will enjoy it when they get a bit older, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post!!! I couldn't agree with you more! I'm only a fan of selfles if you have no one else around you that could take a MUCH better picture! I also lack the long arms and photogenic gene, so selfies are not my friend. You give valuable tips in the case of travelling alone, so thanks! :)
    PS; I catch Kendra taking selfies - ALL THE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. same here too, i do selfies all the time as long as i have phone with me when i want to take pictures of myself. Maybe because selfies could make me feel more comfortable with the best angle to take the best ones. Thanks for sharing these practical tips, i will keep them in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the selfie...I must admit I am guilty of take one every so often, butI don't think they like me very much. I much prefer sticking to scenic shots. Thanks for sharing, Megan and I really love the picture of the smurf. It made my night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So...I SHOULDN'T take a selfie while driving...

    I think you just saved me a bunch in legal fees! For that alone, I am grateful.

    As for Angus, I've seen a fair share of "travel buddies" in my time at the fort. I find it a great idea, no matter how silly it may seem.

    Great stuff, Megan!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I backpakect through western Europe by myself for 15 days, and now that I look at my pictures I realize how many times a selfie wasn´t enough... unless now I have another excuse to go back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you're going to take a selfie, let it be a travel selfie!! But I completely agree with you Megan, I like to get the whole backdrop of where I am so that I can remember it later. If I could take all my picture in panoramic I would!! And hey, if you're travelling alone, you could always be THAT tourist who says, "hey, do you mind taking my picture..."

    ReplyDelete
  11. As someone who takes an embarrassing amount of selfies, I couldn't agree more; selfies are a necessity of any good trip.

    ReplyDelete